I've mostly completed this NIFTY little project today. All that remains is to add an external power jack to it.
Migrating from the breakout board to a real device wasn't as hard as I expected. Took one evening of close attention to detail, but when I tested it, it fired up perfectly.
Today the ZX47-60-S+ arrived via FedEx. It was DOA (dead on arrival). I decided I didn't want to wait for a warranty replacement so I opened the mini device up and found a cold solder joint on the +5vdc line in. I fixed that at least temporarily. I also bitched to MiniCircuits about the issue, but I haven't heard back from them. I'd like a replacement, but no telling it that'll happen. We'll see.
Anyway, once I found that and fixed it, I put the ZX47-60-S+ into my project, and fired things up again. I used a Elecraft XG3 to put -33dbm and 0dBm into my project box's input, and wha-friggin-lah IT WORKS!!! :-)
I added a 60db step attenuator to the input and use 0dBm into the attenuator and stepped down to -60. In all cases the device was reporting within about 1.5dBm (if the XG3 is even accurate). But that's CLOSE ENOUGH for what I needed anyway.
Here are some pix.
Post a Comment